Current:Home > FinanceJudge weighs whether to block removal of Confederate memorial at Arlington Cemetery -Capitatum
Judge weighs whether to block removal of Confederate memorial at Arlington Cemetery
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 12:37:52
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — A federal judge expressed strong misgivings Tuesday about extending a restraining order that is blocking Arlington National Cemetery from removing a century-old memorial there to Confederate soldiers.
At a hearing in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, U.S. District Judge Rossie Alston said he issued the temporary injunction Monday after receiving an urgent phone call from the memorial’s supporters saying that gravesites adjacent to the memorial were being desecrated and disturbed as contractors began work to remove the memorial.
He said he toured the site before Tuesday’s hearing and saw the site being treated respectfully.
“I saw no desecration of any graves,” Alston said. “The grass wasn’t even disturbed.”
While Alston gave strong indications he would lift the injunction, which expires Wednesday, he did not rule at the end of Tuesday’s hearing but said he would issue a written ruling as soon as he could. Cemetery officials have said they are required by law to complete the removal by the end of the year and that the contractors doing the work have only limited availability over the next week or so.
An independent commission recommended removal of the memorial last year in conjunction with a review of Army bases with Confederate names.
The statue, designed to represent the American South and unveiled in 1914, features a bronze woman, crowned with olive leaves, standing on a 32-foot (9.8-meter) pedestal. The woman holds a laurel wreath, plow stock and pruning hook, and a biblical inscription at her feet says: “They have beat their swords into plough-shares and their spears into pruning hooks.”
Some of the figures also on the statue include a Black woman depicted as “Mammy” holding what is said to be the child of a white officer, and an enslaved man following his owner to war.
Defend Arlington, in conjunction with a group called Save Southern Heritage Florida, has filed multiple lawsuits trying to keep the memorial in place. The group contends that the memorial was built to promote reconciliation between the North and South and that removing the memorial erodes that reconciliation.
Tuesday’s hearing focused largely on legal issues, but Alston questioned the heritage group’s lawyers about the notion that the memorial promotes reconciliation.
He noted that the statue depicts, among other things, a “slave running after his ‘massa’ as he walks down the road. What is reconciling about that?” asked Alston, an African American who was appointed to the bench in 2019 by then-President Donald Trump.
Alston also chided the heritage group for filing its lawsuit Sunday in Virginia while failing to note that it lost a very similar lawsuit over the statue just one week earlier in federal court in Washington. The heritage groups’ lawyers contended that the legal issues were sufficiently distinct that it wasn’t absolutely necessary for Alston to know about their legal defeat in the District of Columbia.
Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, who disagrees with the decision to remove the memorial, made arrangements for it to be moved to land owned by the Virginia Military Institute at New Market Battlefield State Historical Park in the Shenandoah Valley.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- The 15 Best After-Sun Products That'll Help Soothe and Hydrate Your Sunburnt Skin
- Review: Zendaya's 'Challengers' serves up saucy melodrama – and some good tennis, too
- The Best Sunscreen Face Sprays That Are Easy to Apply and Won’t Ruin Your Makeup
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Jury urged to convict former Colorado deputy of murder in Christian Glass shooting
- Magnet fisher uncovers rifle, cellphone linked to a couple's 2015 deaths in Georgia
- NFL draft trade candidates: Which teams look primed to trade up or down in first round?
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Gerry Turner's daughter criticizes fans' response to 'Golden Bachelor' divorce: 'Disheartening'
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Pro-Palestinian protesters urge universities to divest from Israel. What does that mean?
- Horoscopes Today, April 23, 2024
- Magnet fisher uncovers rifle, cellphone linked to a couple's 2015 deaths in Georgia
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- The Baby Tee Trend Is Back: Here Are The Cutest (& Cheekiest) Ones You'll Want To Add To Your Closet ASAP
- Marine in helicopter unit dies at Camp Pendleton during 'routine operations'
- Biden meets 4-year-old Abigail Mor Edan, the youngest American hostage released by Hamas
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Utah hockey fans welcome the former Arizona Coyotes to their new home
US applications for jobless claims fall to lowest level in 9 weeks
Woman wins $1M in Oregon lottery raffle, credits $1.3B Powerball winner for reminder
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Ryan Seacrest and Aubrey Paige Break Up After 3 Years
2024 NFL mock draft roundup: Where is Georgia TE Brock Bowers predicted to go?
Marine in helicopter unit dies at Camp Pendleton during 'routine operations'